Old Rock Community Library
The Old Rock was a two-story, two-room schoolhouse, built in 1883 of sandstone quarried at the west end of Elk Avenue for a cost of $6,000. Among the oldest buildings in the town of Crested Butte, the Old Rock was the third school built in the newly incorporated town. From 1883 to 1927 Old Rock operated as a school and between 1927 and 1967 it became a storage spot for the town and occasionally a gymnasium. Then between 1967 and 1985 the Crested Butte Society attempted to use Old Rock as a museum, but they found the remodeling expenses and upkeep too costly. Afterwards Old Rock fell into disrepair. The idea of restoring the building was born in 1989, and it took until 1993 before Old Rock was finally renovated. The beautiful Old Rock Community Library, a branch of the Gunnison County Library District, was open for business on June 22, 1993. Governor Roy Romer on September 21, 1993, dedicated the Old Rock Community Library, 110 years after the Old Rock was built.
Ann Zugelder Library
Gunnison County has a seven-decade history of library service to residents and visitors. The first library was established in 1939 in the basement of Webster Hall in Gunnison by the American Association of University Women with a grand total of 2,000 volumes. Finally, in 1965, Gunnison County designated this library the Gunnison County Public Library. In 1975 the library moved to its present Gunnison location and a small addition was completed in 1983. Much of this was made possible through the vision and support of local philanthropist Ann Zugelder for whom the library building is named.